Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pictographs and Petroglyphs


I learned the difference between a pictograph and a petroglyph at Canyon Tsegi. A pictograph is drawn or painted on top of the rock, a petroglyph is carved or etched into the rock. There is a great book called A Field Guide to Rock Art Symbols of the Greater Southwest by Alex Patterson. It has lots of photos and drawings of different symbols, grouped by type and tells what they represent.
My guide at Canyon Tsegi, a young Navajo guy named Rolando, was really knowlegeable about where to find some of the many drawings there, and even let me sketch them. We talked about his culture and he even coached me in my pronunciation of the few Navajo words I know. We rode around for a couple of hours and had a great time. He was friendly and had a great creative, quick sense of humor. He talked about his people and how hard it is there on the reservation to support himself and his young family. He also talked about the loss of the Navajo culture among the youth, especially the language. I encouraged him to teach his baby daughter his language despite her mother's objection. It was a real treat to be able to speak so openly and honestly with him!

So here is a sketch of a female figure from one of the sites at Canyon Tsegi.

No comments: